HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

1938 Flown cover from Port Said to Tanganyika

More
10 years 2 months ago #89 by mlbister
I have recently acquired a cover bearing two examples of Yv 400 but I cannot reconcile the 3f50 franking with any published airmail rates. The letter was written by a passenger aboard the SS Bernandin de St Pierre on the La Réunion à Marseille line and taken ashore at Port Said on 26 September 1938 from where it was forwarded, I assume, to Cairo for transportation by Imperial Airways to Dar-es-Salam. It arrived at its final destination, Kigoma, on 6 October.

One stamp alone paid the basic foreign letter rate of 1f75 so I conclude that the second 1f75 stamp paid the airmail fee. However was the 1f75 an accurate conversion of the sterling fee into francs or did the sender, in his ignorance of the precise rate, just stick on a second stamp in the hope that the amount would be sufficient?
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.428 seconds