HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

Postal forgeries of Marianne stamps

• Fpkatz
  • Topic Author
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #170 by Fpkatz
Postal forgeries of Marianne stamps was created by Fpkatz

NOW ONLINE
I have found postal forgeries of recent Marianne stamps used to mail Nigeria-type scam letters from France to the United States. See images. I have a few questions:

1. Have these been reported yet? (I plan to write a brief article) These stamps are offset lithographs with a dot pattern, and not engraved like the originals. They are die cut (not exactly like the originals) and apparently self-adhesive. Similar counterfeits of US and UK stamps, believed to originate from China, have been reported.

2. As I understand it, covers are currently sorted by machine which reads the data matrix on the stamps (if there is one) and sprays on a cancellation with codes: Seven brackets for foreign mail, Four for print-at-home stamps and none for the rest. These covers received no brackets and were not read as having data matrices.

Is there anything published explaining these different codes? What does the four-bracket code do?

Merci!

Farley Katz
San Antonio, Texas
Attachments:
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Fpkatz.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Fpkatz
  • Topic Author
4 years 11 months ago #171 by Fpkatz
Replied by Fpkatz on topic Postal forgeries of Marianne stamps
I've found some more information relating to this. Similar fakes of Marianne de la Jeunesse booklets have been reported with similar die cutting. See image and www.timbres-barres-phosphorescentes.fr/V...romper_La_Poste.html ("Faux carnet Lettre Prioritaire rouge -- Marianne et la Jeunesse » autocollant avec pré-découpe ondulée. La réalisation de la pré-découpe est grossière contrairement à l'impression de la figurine."). But so far, none with the data matrices.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.368 seconds