HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

Redirected mail

More
1 year 11 months ago #216 by nnielson
Redirected mail was created by nnielson
Greetings, all!  I was thrilled to find your group over the weekend as I'm certain you have knowledge I lack.  One element of the feedback I received at London 2022 (LV) was that I needed the same description of rates/routes on more pieces.  With examples from around 80 countries in a display (open) class exhibit that is a fairly daunting task.  Still I have a few French items that are interesting and that seems as good a place to start as any.  :-)  I have two items sent months apart in 1873 from London to Nantes. But the individual had moved on and resulted in a redirected cover that is particularly involved. I have identified the Paris.- Bordeaux Convoyeur but looking at a map, the fact that anything going to Nantes (or on to St. Nazaire) went through both of those cities raises more questions than answers.  Let me start the discussion by asking which of the markings present are part of the "normal" routing of mail from London to Nantes during this time?  That would separate out those involved with the redirection.  Any help you may be able to offer would be most appreciated. 
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #217 by cjhitchen
Replied by cjhitchen on topic Redirected mail
List the postmarks in chronological order, some are indistinct but they appear Calais entry mark ?Paris Bordeaux travelling post office 27 August ?Nantes 27 August St Nazaire 28 August

So Calais to Paris TPO  then part way Paris Bordeaux TPO then to Nantes and then St Nazaire. There is no redirection charge in France. An item has to be handed back to a postman or taken immediately to the post office with the new address. If put back into a post box treated as a new sending. Postage of 3d paid in London.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by cjhitchen.

More
1 year 10 months ago #218 by nnielson
Replied by nnielson on topic Redirected mail
I’m finally getting back to this exhibit page now. It turns out I have an earlier letter to the same individual but not redirected. The manuscript 3 appears on this item also, so the suggestion that 30c Postage due was related to the handling of the redirection appears not to be correct. Since it appears on the delivered mail (as well as the redirected) there must be another explanation.  Any ideas?
Attachments:

More
1 year 10 months ago #219 by cjhitchen
Replied by cjhitchen on topic Redirected mail
My first reply was badly worded, the postage was properly paid in London as 3d and a British 3 written on the front as confirmation. Lombard Street has struck its paid mark as well. No postage was charged in France.

Time to create page: 0.255 seconds