HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

1870 German Occupation War stamps forgeries?

More
10 years 11 months ago #40 by cjgriffiths
I was at a stamp fair on Saturday and while looking at a dealers French stock he showed me 6 stamps printed for the German occupation during the war of 1870. I have seen these before but he was convinced they are forgeries. This was based on the fact that the album he had them in was owned by someone who knew their stuff and they had put little crosses next to them to denote their "dodginess".

Since I know next to nothing about these stamps and since they were cheap I bought them all and now I wonder what should I be looking at to see if they are genuine or not? A scan is attached and help any help is appreciated.

I am being very lazy on this since I haven't even looked at any of my catalogues to sort it out myself!

:whistle:
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 11 months ago #47 by mlbister
Replied by mlbister on topic 1870 German Occupation War stamps forgeries?
I am assuming you have the Hamburg reprints so the following extract from www.dcstamps.com may be useful:-

"Official imitations of all values were made in 1885 in Hamburg. Imitations are of the network down variety and since new plates were made for the text, the easiest way to distinguish imitations is as follows: Draw an imaginary line from the upper left corner of the rectangular border to the lower right corner. The line should pass through the lower part of the ‘P‘ (on the genuine stamp), while on reprints it will pass just below the center of the ‘P’."
The following user(s) said Thank You: cjgriffiths

More
10 years 11 months ago #51 by cjgriffiths
Replied by cjgriffiths on topic 1870 German Occupation War stamps forgeries?
Thanks for the fantastic advice. It turns out that some are reprints and some are not! I love it when I get a bargain! :)

Time to create page: 0.263 seconds