HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

Ceres overprint

• hfisher
  • Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago #54 by hfisher
Ceres overprint was created by hfisher
Please can anyone tell me why the 1938-40 Ceres issues were overprinted in red with 1F which seems to have applied regardless of the original value.
Apart from catalogue mentioning of this I cannot find an explanation in terms of changes to postage rates in any of my reference books but, I guess, it was due to the war.
Why did the Ceres issue not have the original value cancelled by two bars as were other issues at the time? I assume it was because the values were so small on the stamps.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 10 months ago #58 by mlbister
Replied by mlbister on topic Ceres overprint
The 1f75 Cérès was issued to meet the foreign letter rate (1 Aug 1937-30 Nov 1938)and hence printed in blue (UPU regulations). Similarly the 2f25 Cérès was issued to meet the next foreign letter rate (1 Dec 1938-31 Dec 1939) and was likewise printed in the regulatory blue. The 2f50 Cérès was issued to meet the Internal Registered Letter Rate (17 Nov 1938-30 Nov 1939).

When the next round of rate changes took place(1 December 1939 for internal mail and 1 Jan 1940 for foreign mail)the above three stamps became redundant either because of their value or because of their colour. At the time there was a considerable paper shortage (hence the number of slogan postmarks advocating paper economy measures)and so the stamps could not be destroyed. Instead all the remainder stocks were overprinted with a bold 1f overprint which met the new basic internal letter rate (1 Dec 1939-4 January 1942). It is estimated that over 35,000,000 copies of these three values were recycled in this way.

I do not know why the original value was not cancelled. I assume the large overprint was sufficient to indicate the revised value.

• hfisher
  • Topic Author
10 years 10 months ago #60 by hfisher
Replied by hfisher on topic Ceres overprint
Thank you very much Mick, I am most grateful for both your replies.

Time to create page: 0.300 seconds