HOW TO REGISTER FOR THE FORUM

Please contact the France & Colonies Philatelic Society webmaster (see contact information at the bottom of the page). We have had reports that some members using Microsoft Edge and older versions of Safari have had difficulties in logging in. We have found by changing browers to Chrome or Firefox has rectified the problem.

military "Alpin cordelier" WW2

• dhtrapnell
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #70 by dhtrapnell
military "Alpin cordelier" WW2 was created by dhtrapnell
A soldier at Grenoble (1942) described himself as "Alpin cordelier".
Would I be correct in assuming this means he was a climber (rather than a monk!)?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #71 by mstyler
Replied by mstyler on topic military "Alpin cordelier" WW2
A climber would be an "alpiniste". "Alpin" is short for "chasseur alpin" or mountain infantryman. Having now seen a scan of the postcard bearing this phrase, I am almost certain that Cordelier (or it could even be something like "Cordeltier") is the surname of the soldier writing the card which, when used officially or in a postal address, would come before the Christian name "André". So the equivalent in English would be something like "Private Andrew Monk" perhaps.

I haven't yet been able to confirm it, but I think the additional "159RIA" in manuscript which follows the name (as well as appearing in the FM cachet) most likely stands for "159e Régiment d'Infanterie Alpin" or 159th Alpine Infantry Regiment".

Maurice Tyler
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by mstyler. Reason: To add image
The following user(s) said Thank You: dhtrapnell

• dhtrapnell
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #72 by dhtrapnell
Replied by dhtrapnell on topic military "Alpin cordelier" WW2
Thanks. I agree your interpretation makes sense.
DT

Time to create page: 0.585 seconds